Vietnam has an incredible background of mythology surrounding its history. The mythology of Vietnam suggests that the country was brought into being by a union of a dragon and a mountain fairy, who brought life to 100 offspring, the eldest of which became the first King of the thousand year Hung Dynasty. It suggests that it is that particular point which breathed life into the country of Vietnam, and to this day, the Hung Dynasty is widely commemorated as the origin of Vietnamese culture.
Presently, Vietnam is an amazing cultural destination, with a vibrant commercial appeal, amazing beaches, and an incredible array of hotels, spas and getaway resorts. Vietnam has more than 2,000 miles of coastline, which is dotted with sandy, sun kissed beaches and surrounded by crystal clear ocean views.
Vietnam’s cultural appeal also includes a variety of things including: music, which ranges from the formal, classical music of the north, to the more modern folk music of Vietnam which became popular in the 1950s. A selection of festivals based around the lunar calendar, and traditional Vietnamese cuisine, which is based upon 5 key taste elements: Spicy, sour, bitter, salty and sweet, which are linked to metal, wood, fire, water and earth respectively.
- Country full name: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
- Area: 332,000 km²
- Population: 90,7 million, majority is Kinh people and other ethnic minorities
- Capital City: Hanoi, 7,5 million people
- Commercial City: Ho Chi Minh, 8,3 million people
- National Language: Vietnamese
- Religion: Multi religions, majority are Buddhism and Catholic
- National flower: Lotus
- Currency: Vietnam Dong (VND)
- International Dialing Code : +84
Vietnam has climate of tropical monsoon due to its location in the southeast of Indochina Peninsular. Spreading out along the country length, Vietnam climate divided into 3 different zones as below:
Northern Vietnam: There are 4 seasons Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter with obviously changes in term of temperatures and features. However, each season creates specific joys for travellers and the best ideal time having trips to Northern Vietnam from Sep to Apr annually with highly recommended destinations such as: Hanoi Capital, Ha Long Bay, Bai Dinh – Trang An, Tam Coc – Bich Dong, Sapa…
Middle Vietnam: This is the transaction between 2 climate zones of Northern and Southern with sunny weather all year round, there are many deserved places to visit as: Hue ancient capital, Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Mui Ne…
Southern Vietnam: There are 2 seasons Dry period and Rainy period with very little change of temperatures and no seasonal factor for tourism. Travellers can book tours all year around to Southern Vietnam with famous destinations such as: Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi tunnel, Vung Tau beaches, Mekong River Delta… The less ideal time to visit this region is annual Apr-May because of the rainy season with sudden showers fall then off.
Life Style And Cultural Differences:
Greetings: Other nationalities focus on friendliness and open-heartedness by hand-shakes, hugs and kisses no matter what ages and gender you are while the Vietnamese pay attention to whom they are greeting (child, older, younger, gender…) then apply the proper greeting manners to the right person.
Communication: When expressing your own idea, saying straightforwardly is the best way you may use but the Vietnamese, they highly appreciate the soft communication manner as a famous proverb “There is great force hidden in a sweet command”.
The taboos: It is said that “When in Vietnam, do as Vietnamese do”, understanding “should not do things” in each culture is the best way to enjoy comprehensive pleasures of the trip. Some taboos travellers should remember:
- Do not wear short clothes and speak loudly visiting temples and pagodas;
- Do not complaint or criticize about cultural differences with the locals;
- Do not do bad things towards Vietnamese people on the first days of lunar month and lunar year;
- Do not take photos when visiting very sacred places, revolutionary monuments and military zones;
- Do not express couple affection in public areas.
Money: There are many Zeroes (0) in Vietnam currency (VND), the lowest currency notes 200 VND and 500 VND which mostly can buy nothing in kind. If travellers have some, it would be better to put them in the donation box.
Funnies: (how to say some simple Vietnamese words / sentences) or learning more at https://wikitravel.org/en/Vietnamese_phrasebook
- 01 Jan, Solar New Year, International New Year day
- 8-11 Feb, Lunar New Year Holidays, Vietnamese Traditional New Year
- 16 Apr, Kings Hung day, In memory of Hung Kings, merit founders of the state in the primitive period
- 30 Apr, Reunion day, Liberation day of Ho Chi Minh City and the reunion of North and South region
- 01 May, May day, International labor day
- 02 Sep, National day, President Ho Chi Minh read the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, marking the birth of Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1945